Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Powell's is Heaven

Ray Bradbury was wrong. Mars isn't Heaven. Heaven, I learned, is a place called Powell's City of Books in Portland. I spent a lot of time there, looking at all the books I wanted and couldn't have. The rare book room is orgasmic. I stood there, oogling like a buffoon over first editions of Hemingway and Faulkner. The one I wanted most, however, was not one of the more expensive first editions. In a case close to the Horror section sat a 1st edition of The Stand by Stephen King. This is a true first edition, not the unabridged version, not a book club edition. I have book editions, where they replicate the original dust jackets. Gues how much this book cost? $150.00. Compare to one of the Hemingways, 150 was nothing.
I bought a Sherlock Holmes action figure.

Portland is a great place. Overcast most of the time, with a light drizzle of rain. I loved it. Not cold and not hot. It is baby bear country. Everything was just right.

I didn't win anything but I had quite a few people remember me from last year's conference in Kansas City. That is worth more than money.

There is a girl from Alabama who won't soon for get me, either. Wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean?

No comments: