Thursday, May 11, 2006

Walking the Line

Well, Monday is the day. I'll be taking my first ever graduation walk. For those of you who may not know, I dropped out of high school. I've never done the grad thing before.
When I stopped to think about it, this is the first long-term project I will have successfully completed. Ok, I wrote a novel (that sucks, it was practice) and an ok book of essays (finished but unsuccewsful because I haven't managed to publish it yet). There have been a few other projects that I've done but none of them required sustained efforts longer than a few months. Even the newspaper, from the day I signed the contract until the day that contract runs out spanned less than five months.
The newspaper gig is only the second time I've had a job that I didn't quit. The first was a magazine gig that ended when the operation wentout of business. Every other job I've had I've quit. The last good job I had, the bookstore thing, I left to do the paper.
The positive side is that I've never been fired. I'm just a quitter (I even managed to quit smoking). Call me a quitter or someone who just gives up and you are probably right. I've rationalized it by telling myself I didn't need to be doing what ever it was I was doing any longer.

But not this. I stuck it out. Yes, I made some changes to the original goals but I crossed off every goal on my list. It must be time to make a new list. We'll see how long it takes to finish it.
I just have to keep plugging away.

Catch you on the flipside.

No comments: