Friday, November 03, 2006

Coincidental Scarring

I do not believe in coincidences. While I may not always be able to explain why certain things line up like they do, I do believe their is a bigger scheme at work.

Right now, I am about halfway through the new Stephen King book Lisey's Story. I had to check it out at the library but I'm okay with that. A recurring setting is a place called the Shipman Library. On the second day of my possession of this novel, I wrote an article about a 1920s era female filmmaker named Nell Shipman. So, not a huge coincidence but it caught me funny.

Yesterday, walking around town, I was sing the Johnny Cash song "Walk the Line." While singing, a truck pulled up next to me playing that exact song at the exact point I was at in my singing. Getting a bit freaking now, eh?

There's more.

For the British Literature class I am taking, we are reading Shakespeare's King Lear. One recurring theme of Lear is the so-called "duty of love." In the Stephen King book, that precise phrase is used in a similar context. Now, it isn't unusual for an author to reference previous works (King does this through out the current book) but it isn't everyday that I'm reading something one of those major references comes from.

How about this.

One major concern of the Stephen King book is self-mutilation. You know, cutting yourself because you are a bit nuts. I used to do this and have the scars to prove it. I haven't done it in a very long time but I have been thinking about WHY I used to do it. One particular incident left me with a scar about two and a half inches about my left nipple. Heart area, basically. The scar is a name. The name has to do with the novel I am nearing completion of. While this is more of a stretch than the other coincidences, it is still there.

I was going to write this last night. I didn't and now I have another bit to add. I fell asleep last night singing the song "Last Kiss" as originally recorded by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers and covered a couple years ago by Pearl Jam.
While here in Moscow, I've been listening to the oldies station more than the newer rock stations, so I've been expecting to hear that song any day now.
today I heard it while eating a burrito at Taco Bell. It was the Pearl Jam version because they weren't listening to the oldies station.

Yes, I'm starting to weird myself out. And I'm wondering just what all this is supposed to mean.

No comments: