Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ye olde Link

So, that link a couple posts down has worked for some and not for others. I still think it is valuable to check it out within the context of the site I posted it on all those years ago but, for those who just want to read something old of mine, here it goes. (and with all the punctuation and erros in tact. most of them were on purpose anyway.)


Vignette
i suppose the grass would be green during the day. it is black now. it's flat, mostly, with a slight rise in the middle, six feet long. i stand at one end looking at the stone cross on the other. chiseled into the dark granite is a name and two dates, just like any other marker. but how many people can read their own headstone? i step closer to the marker, admiring the workmanship. just like i wanted. the writing sunk deep into the face, no other words besides the name and dates. through the grapevine i hear that high school kids come to this spot to scare each other with stories i wish were humorous. thankfully, no one else is here tonight. i stand here gazing at the plot for what seems like hours but is only a few minutes. my mind wanders and fades. i think i'm falling asleep. then another visitor to the tombstone arrives. he doesn't stand and stare like i do. he perches lightly on the crossbeam, first looking at nothing then looking at me. a caw sounds in my mind but not my ears. i know it is time for me to leave again and i may not ever return here. i say one last farewell to myself before turning into the forest of the dead. it hurts to leave but it hurts worse to stay where there is nothing for me. some where in the darkness there is something waiting for me. as that very darkness closes around me i pray that whatever awaits, wherever i end up, that i will know what it is when i get there. sometimes it is so dark not even the shadows know if they are really there. end

No comments: