Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Past catching up to me

Usually when some one says that thier past is catchingup with them, it is a bad thing. Not so much for me.
First, a bit of backstory for those who may not know.
I used to act. A lot. High school plays and a summer of "film acting" once held a major place in my life and my heart. I haven't been in a play since 2001.
Over the weekend, I was working on an articel for the paper about a group of students working on their film project for the semester. Just for fun, they talked me into auditioning.
Just for fun, they chose me for a role in the picture.
Here's the problem: If I had known I was getting a part, or if I had gone to meet them with the intention of auditioning, I couldn't write the article. Total conflict of interest. I won't be able to write about this project from an unbiased, reporter-like point of view anymore. the straight reporting thing is out the window.
I can still write about it, though. Columnist style.

In other news....
Found out today that outside readers like to link to other people's work. Specifically, an opinion blogger from Spokane. He likes a couple of our other columnists more than me, but he linked to my bit about getting out of jury duty.
Kick ass, right?
So I snooped around (actually, I Googled myself) and found that another group linked to my article about the Burns Night Supper I went to. You know, the night I ate haggis. They liked the article, even though they don't know who I am.
I think I'm going to e-mail them and ask if I can get a free ticket next year.

Check it out:
http://mysite.verizon.net/borderhighlanders/BurnsNight2007/ui-arg-burns-2007.htm
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/nhb/archive.asp?postID=13291
(you have to scroll down a ways to see that I'm on that page, but I'm there, dammit.)

No comments: