Sunday, February 26, 2006

Olympics and other observations

Right now, I'm watching the gold medal game of men's hockey. I like hockey. I don't know all the rules or players. I don't know nearly as much about hockey as I do about baseball, football and NASCAR. I even know more about basketball than I know about hockey and I don't even like basketball.
Why am I watching hockey right now? I like it, but I don't love it. I'm watching hockey because the NASCAR race doesn't start until 12:30 and baseball season doesn't start for another month. This game, though, is a classic rivalry. Finland versus Sweden. Forget USC-Notre Dame, Duke-North Carolina, Cowboys-Redskins. Red Sox-Yankees might come close. This is not only sports pride but also territorial pride. These teams battle on the ice and know who the best country is. They leave the cross-country skiing events to Norway. It is hockey that matters. More of a national pastime for these countries than baseball ever was here in the States.
The good news is that baseball will have a real turn and deciding who is the best in the world. Before the season begins, we'll be treated to the World Baseball Classic. Teams from around the world, over 170 Major Leage players involved. Our best, the best from Japan, Korea, Italy, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Mexico and others will play for a true World Championship. Our wonderful U.S. government is even being kind enough to let Cuba play. (Cuba has produced many great players over the last 60 years, so it would have been abssurd not to let them play. Government sure can be dumb sometimes.) Even though some of my favorite players will be playing for other countries, I will cheer for the USA.
Ok, a little bit more on the Olympics. Hockey is not my favorite Olympic sport to watch. Can you guess what I enjoy watching the most? It shouldn't be too difficult. CAn't think of it? Women's Figure Skating, of course. Those chicks are hot!!!

And just in case you didn't see it, Sweden won the gold.

No comments: