Monday, February 27, 2006

Other people's stories

My sister is only person to ever tell me she didn't understand someting I had written. The funny thing is that later, after a re-read, she told me that she'd figured out that I reminded her of David Sedaris. I told her I was reading Sedaris and other similar essayist when I wrote most of the essays in the book she read.
What hasn't happened is that no one has ever told me they just plain old did not like something I had written. It feels good when people like my work, but sometimes, I wish someone would just come right out and say "this sucks." Trust me, I can take it.
I don't think everyone can take such harsh criticism. That is why we have American Idol. I don't watch the show as obsessively as (too) many people do, but I catch bits and pieces. I like Simon Cowell. He tells people when they suck. Most of those people need to be told they suck. They spent years being told how good they were by parents, family and friends even if they weren't. Encouragement is one thing; feeding delusions is another.
The one class I'm taking this semester is "Introduction to Creative Writing." I understand that is an "Introduction" to creative writing and not everyone has been doing it as long as I have. Some might have been doing it longer. I like to think I have a good grasp on what is good and what isn't. What I can't stand is the ass-kissing that goes on in the class. NOT EVERYTHING CAN BE GOOD!
Last year, I edited the school's student literary journal. It was my job to decide what was good and what wasn't. Today, a fellow classmate read a story in class that I had rejected for the journal. I knew it seemed familiar but he reminded me that he had submitted it. I did publish a different piece of his so I don't feel bad about it. What I feel bad about is having to say positive things about a story I think sucks. I try to keep my mouth shut (if nothing good to say don't say anything) but it never works. I can find positive things in most any story. I voice those positive things. What I really want to say is, "Here is what is good," then, "here is what is not so good."
It makes me wonder how honest people are with their reactions. right ow, we have to be careful of people's feelings. We can't tell them when something sucks. By the same token, they cannot tell me if someting sucks. I'm half-tempted to write something bad just to see what happens. I've written some stinkers so I know I can do it again. (As Stephen King says, "As the author of Maximum Overdrive, I'm qualified to say when something sucks.")
Maybe I should write something bad. I could write some poetry. I know I suck at that.

No comments: