Saturday, March 25, 2006

Another Story

Ok, this was an assignment. We had to write an 800 word story using only dialogue. Here is mine. Guess what it is about?


Glaucoma Prevention Tips

"Don’t do that."
"Do what?"
"What you are doing right now."
"I’m doing lots of things. What don’t you want me to do?"
"God, you are going to make me say it, aren’t you?"
"Does it bother you to say it?"
"No, I’m not a prude. It’s just that you are always doing it and I wish you’d stop."
"Well, maybe if you joined in more often, I wouldn’t have to do it so much."
"You’d do it anyway."
"Yeah, but not as much."
"Could you maybe go into the bathroom then? "
" I like to look at you."
"Take a fucking picture then."
"Can I?"
"No. You know how those things get out."
"Kinda like this one of your sister."
"What? You don’t have a picture of my sister."
"Yes I do. Paul took it at the wedding."
"Why haven’t I seen it?"
"We don’t want it getting out to too many people, do we?"
"I’m her sister, dammit. Show me the picture."
"Ok, but I didn’t take it. Paul did."
"Just show me."
"What do you think of little sis now?"
"Jesus, is that her head or…"
"Definitely not her head."
"All those years of gymnastics and cheerleading and it comes down to this."
"Weren’t you a cheerleader?"
"Yes, but I never did anything like this."
"I heard otherwise."
"From who?"
"No one in particular."
"Bullshit. You better tell me now or I’ll tear up this picture."
"Go ahead. It’s your sister. You were going to tear it up anyway."
"How do you know?"
"Not much of a stretch."
"Tell me who told you and I’ll think about letting you keep it."
"Nah, it’s fine. I don’t need it anymore."
"What do you mean by that?"
"Nothing."
"Liar."
"Have I ever lied to you?"
"You never told me about this picture."
"You never asked."
"What? You expected me to ask, ‘Hey, do you have any naked pictures of my little sister?"
"Technically, she still has her clothes on."
"Technically, I don’t care. You can see everything."
"Only if you turn it just right."
"That’s it. Get out. You are on the couch tonight."
"Ow! Quit kicking."
"I’ll stop kicking once you are away from me."
"C’mon, don’t be like that."
"I’m tearing up this picture right now."
"I don’t mind. You are sexier than her anyway. I married you, remember?"
"Good bye to the picture. I’ll see you in the morning."
"Ok, ok. It was Megan."
"Megan…Megan from college?"
"Yeah, Megan from college. She told me about you and her and the debate team."
"She didn’t?"
"Yes, she did."
"When?"
"When she dropped off your reunion invitation last year."
"Oh my God. She swore she’d never tell anyone."
"Yeah, but do you remember what day that was?"
"No, I don’t…Wait, it wasn’t…?"
"Yes it was. The five in one nighter."
"I can’t believe it. Hearing that old story made you…"
"Made me do this first."
"Stop it!"
"I can’t stop now. It has a mind of its own."
"Why can’t it have a place of its own?"
"It does."
"Nice. It isn’t a garage and that isn’t a Cadillac."
"That isn’t what you said that night."
"I was drunk."
"So were you drunk last night when you called it …"
"Don’t say it. Please don’t say it."
"Henry’s brother. Peter Wadsworth Longfellow."
"That is so ridiculous. How did you get me to say that out loud?"
"Tequila. Lots and lots of tequila."
"I could go for another right now."
"No go. You drank it all."
"I did not!"
"Ok, I had a couple shots, but you drank most of it."
"We just bought that bottle last week!"
"If you want more tequila, I will get you more tequila."
"Are you going to put your pants on first? Maybe wash your hands?"
"Nope. I’ll tell the clerk I lost my pants drunk and I need to be drunk to find them again."
"Get back here. You don’t have to get me drunk to get a little."
"That would be true if I only wanted a little."
"If you’d hold still for a second, you can have all you want."
"Can I have that picture back?"
"No. I’m keeping it."
"What are you going to do with it?"
"Same thing you’ve been doing."
"You aren’t?"
"Yes I am. I’m going to hide it from you for ten years. When you forget about it, then you can have it back."
"Oh. I thought you meant…"
"Meant what? You thought I was going to do this?"
"Don’t stop."
"I won’t."

No comments: