Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Just doing my job...

Some of you may know that I have a healthy disrespect for authority, including law enforcement. part of it being healthy is that I will let them do their job as long as they don't bother me. Today I was bothered.

I live inthe backyard, remember? I walked out from the yard, headed for a walk. I took a sharp turn back to the house to check the mailbox. At that exact time a police cruiser passed by. I didn't think anything of it until I saw the cruiser quickly turn at the next corner. I kept walking until the cruiser pulled in front of me, blocking my path.
The officers exited the vehicle and asked me to take my hands out of my pockets. I complied and answered yes when asked if I lived in the house I just left. When asked if I had any warrants I made the mistake of answering truthfully.
I said, "Not that I know of." The officer said that most people say no and an answer like that usually means yes.
I told them I had a very good reason for answering the way I did.
One day, I was a passenger in a car with expired tags. Headed to work, we were pulled along side a county sheriff at a red light. The cop backed off as the light changed and quickly pulled us over after seeing the expired plate. The cop asked for both our IDs. We complied, the driver profisely apologizing for his minor violation. After spending time in his car, the officer came back with our IDs and handed the driver's back to him. The cop told the driver he was letting him off with a warning. This time.
Then the cop came around to the passenger side where I sat. He opened the door and asked me to step out of the vehicle. Now, I 've had my run ins with JOhn Q. Law but I'd stayed clear for a long time. I knew I hadn't done anything. I was told there was a warrant for me due to an overweight vehicle.
I laughed. I did not (and still don't) have a driver's license let alone a CDL. I told the cop this but he was so happy to get an arret that he didn't seem to hear. I wasn't even old enough at the time to possess a CDL. We went back to his cruiser after the pat down. I told the cop that he was mistaken, that I bet the warrant was for my father who was an equipment transporter for an asphalt company at the time. He called in to dispatch again with my ID only to be given back the info of my father.
See, we have the same first and last name. Different middle name. Our birthdates, apparently, sound so similar that this particular could not tell the difference between 9-30-59 and 10-31-79. The situation was straightened out but I did not get an apology. The cop did not get his big arrest, however.

Back to today. The officers check my ID, discovering that I do live where I said I did and that, in fact, I did not have any outstandinf warrants. Naturally, I chatted away the whole time, answering questions because I had nothing to hide. Suggesting the officers should have raincoats on when they get out of their car. You know, just being a nice guy. They wer enice, telling me that they percieved my actions as suspicious and felt the need to check it out. I thanked them for doing their job and that it was good to know they were watching.
It could have turned out worse. The best part is, karma rewarded me for my troubles. Three blocks down the road I found a five dollar bill.
Karma rules. I still don't like cops but I can put up with them if they can put up with me.

2 comments:

-L. said...

glad you didn't get arrested! :)

T.J. said...

Yeah, me too. of course, there isn't anything to arrest me for. Just because I look guilty doesn't mean I am.