Saturday, September 09, 2006

Date Night In Moscow

I'm trudging home, almost to the top of my hill when my pocket vibrates. It is my phone and a number I don't recognize. That isn't a surprise as I was expecting calls back from some sources for stories I was working on. Instead, it was a woman from my poetry class. We had been chatting and I gave her my phone number.
I answered, breathing heavily. (I'm still not back to my fighting weight, but I will be soon.) She asked me if I was ok, and I explained the hill. And then she asked me if I wanted to go to a movie.
Do you know how long it has been since I've been asked out? High school and that was almost ten years ago. I didn't know if her intentions were of the date type or the friendly-let's-go-hang-out type. Either way, it was being asked to go out.
I said yes.
We went to a movie (The old fashioned part of me took over and I paid even though I only had $20. Tickets were five a piece and large drinks were $2.50. We got the dollar bag of popcorn for free. I really liked this theater and will be going there more often.) We laughed at the show (a chick flick based on a chick lit book. It was what she wanted to see, so shut up.)
Even though we both had proclaimed that the shadow of homework lurked over us, neither of us felt like going home. We went to a coffee bar with live music. She had a beer and I had a hot chocolate. (I don't like beer or coffee so there wasn't much to choose from.) The three person group was pretty good, but we sat back in a corner and chatted. I found out she is older than me. That's cool. It means I'm not the oldest person in my poetry class. Besides, she looks at least five years younger than she said she is.
And eventually we left. I walked her back to her car, where we gabbed some more before she finally drove off. I walked home. It was nearly eleven by now. The movie started at seven.
I had a good time. It was a no-pressure situation. I'm sure we will hang out more. I make no predictions on anything else.
Total cost of date (combined spending): $20.55. She paid for the drinks at the cafe.

Yes, I am cheap. But I'm not easy.

No comments: