Saturday, September 02, 2006

Burning Man Blues

I was there a few years ago. Seems so much longer ago than it really was. I want to go back. I think I would have more fun than I did that first time. I didn't know what was going on and, honestly, was a little afraid to join in. Many of those fears (like talking to strange people I don't know) have been overcome in the days since then. I'm a better writer than I was then, too. I'm more complete-- although not entirley complete-- as an artist and participant in life.
Burning Man is going on right now. In fact, The Man should be close to frying. I know a couple people out there. I know they are having fun. They, too, are wiser and more experienced than they were the year I was there with them. I wonder if they still have just as much fun? I'll have to ask.
In a strange coincidence, I was in a bookstore today and one of the random books that caught my eye was about Burning Man. I would have bought if I'd had any money. Maybe later. I don't think anyone else is swooping down to purchase it.
I'd rather be there than sit and read about it. That is a big step for me.

Then again, maybe I wouldn't. Even now, in a town with a healthy art scene, I'm sitting home on a Saturday night. I did go to a gallery today, after the bookstore. It is only 9:15. Maybe I should go out anyway.
I'd have to put on pants, though. If I were at Burning Man, no such requirement would exist.

No comments: