Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Moscow!!!

Here is a short snippet of my journey to Moscow:

Yes, I have a driver's license now, acquired on AUgust 10th. Today is August 15th. In that five days I have driven over 800 miles. Am I crazy? you know, I just might be. The freeway is a scary place full of maniacs. There is nothing one can do but go with the flow, keep a watch on multiple angles and pray for the best. I made it. Contrary to what many others might think, 75 miles per hour IS TOO FAST!!! Especially when 90% of the drivers exceed that limit.

As for the vehicle, well, it got tired at a gas station in Boise and didn't want to go anymore. After a rest, the remainder of the journey went smoothly. I arrived in Moscow around 2:30 PM and, after getting lost, found the campus and the right building to get my student ID/debit card. Then I went and bought my books. I lucked out and only needed relatively cheap books. Not getting that employee discount after so long really bites. Such is life.

After spending the nigth parked in a grocery store parking lot (WinCo, for those in the know) I continued taking care of business. I had planned to park at the Wal-Mart, but I seem to have found the last Wal-Mart in the world that closes at 10 PM. Anyway, I went to sleep and woke up early. I drove myself over to the Parking Office and bought a Parking Permit. I used the same card I used to get my books, so I didn't use any out of pocket funds. It cost $125, which sucks, but the good news is that it is good for an entire year (as opposed to just the semester) and also allows me to park in various lots at Washington State University, where I have one co-op class. I was worried about having to pay an additional fee to park there, but I don't have to. Hooray!

Ok, tomorrow will be a day when I just sortof wander around campus and not do much else. thursday I find out what my work study job will be. Once I know that, I can get a better idea of how much time I'll have to take over the newspaper here. :)

I'm going to go take a nap now.

Catch you on the flipside.

1 comment:

sapphireroze said...

so, did you keep the permit? you could sell it back for something if you don't end up wanting it for the rest of the semester