Tuesday, October 24, 2006

With apologies....

One curse of starting college late is being surrounded by younger people. NOw there are those people who are obviously older and not part of the same social atmosphere as the average university student. I'm not that old. Yes, I'm closer to 30 than I am to 20, but most people don't know it unless I tell them.

If I come off as a creepy old guy, I'm sorry. I'm not old enough to be a "dirty old man," thank goodness, but I guess it might be a little weird.

So if I walked you home today, and it made you uncomfortable to be around an older guy, I'm sorry. (This isn't my sarcastic sorry, either. This is the real deal.) Maybe I am too old to ask out sophomores. 25 is not the end of one's life. many writer's don't get published until their 30s and many don't reach their peak until their late 40s and 50s. Hell, if you are Walt WHitman, you didn't hit your peak until your 60s!

27, though. Jimi, Janis, Kurt, Tupac, Jim...I'm not going to see you anytime soon. I won't be the candle that gets snuffed out too soon. I plan on fading away and not for a very long time. And if I have someone to share that time with, all the better.

I realize that in my thumbnail profile, it says that I will explain why I am single. Perhaps the time is coming when that explanation is due. It is a long story, with no one knowing the whole thing. Some know more than others and an argument could be made that I don't even know all the reasons why. These are not the things to be brooding about so close to one's birthday.

I'm going to shut up now.

1 comment:

sapphireroze said...

one day I'll hear more of your story.

I'm avoiding the fiction assignment. I'm hesitant to start it since I'm pretty sure I'll make it suck.

so I'm reading your blog backward.

I'm going to hear more of your stories. mark my words.
and you really do look 23-ish, not 27